SunPower Corp. (Nasdaq: SPWR) announced today that, under Mexico's first electricity power auction, the company has been awarded power purchase agreements with CFE,
Sullivan Solar Power spent an afternoon teaching third through fifth grade students at West Orange Elementary school about how solar energy works and what to take into
Solar Senior Capital Ltd. today announced that it will release its financial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2016 on Tuesday, May 3, 2016, after the close of the financial markets.
EGP, SunPower, Alten and Recurrent Energy were awarded PV projects in the first electricity auction following energy reform in Mexico. According to local press, the median price for solar was around US$40.50 per megawatt-hour.
Mexico has awarded more than 1 GW of solar PV in the first electricity auction following the nation’s energy reform. Seven winning solar projects from Enel Green Power (EGP), SunPower, Alten and Recurrent Energy represent 56% of the 5,386 Gigawatt-hours (GWh) awarded in the auction. The remaining 44% is covered by four wind projects.
The company which won the most was EGP, which was awarded around 2,250 GWh. In a press release, the company stated that this volume will be covered by four solar parks in Coahuila and Guanajuato which total 992 MW-DC.
EGP took roughly 42% of the total volume awarded and nearly 3/4 of the volume which corresponded to solar projects. The remainder went to four projects by SunPower Systems Mexico, Alten Renewable Energies Mexico 5 and Recurrent Energy Mexico Development. Recurrent Energy is a subsidiary of Canadian Solar.
In total, SunPower was awarded 269 GWh (around 9% of the total volume), Recurrent won 140 GWh (around 5%), and Spain’s Alten was awarded 368 GWh (around 12%).
Median price of US$40.50/MWh for solar
The median price of PV projects fell at around US$40.50 per megawatt-hour (MWh), according to local press. In order to obtain this price one must include, in addition to electricity, the awarding of 5.4 million of clean energy certificates. These are related to the same projects.
With this, the median price of PV projects is lower than the median price of $43.90/MWh for wind projects. Therefore wind took a lower volume of projects than solar projects. Wind corresponded to 44% of the volume awarded.
In total, 1.7 GW-AC of wind and solar projects were awarded, and of the two 1.1 GW-AC corresponded to solar projects, according to local press. The electricity and the CEL awarded represented 85% of the volume available in the auction, and the remaining electricity and CEL available were unclaimed.
The PV plants awarded are located in the north and center of Mexico, specifically in the states of Aguascalientes, Guanajuato y Coahuila. In this first electricity auction the single long-term counterparty is Mexico’s state utility CFE. The projects awarded are expected to enter into operation in 2018.
This first electricity auction attracted much interest. Already in the first phase, participation was very high, with 109 bidders which submitted 468 technical offers. After obtaining prequalification, 69 bidders presented financial bids.
For this auction, there were presented projects from PV, wind, hydro, combined cycle, geothermal and cogeneration sources.
Mexico’s energy reform plans for an electricity market to begin to operate at the beginning of this year and establishes a call for procurement of long-term power. According to Mexico’s Secretary of Energy, the next electricity auction of this type will be convened in April.
Tracker system to be installed in the southeastern United States in the second quarter.
GameChange Solar announced that it has received an order from a leading nationwide developer/installer for a 28 MW Genius Tracker™ single axis tracker system to be installed
The first ever large scale solar farm project is expected to break ground in a little under a month.
An array of solar panels atop a new IKEA, the world’s leading home furnishings retailer, will be the largest of its kind in Nevada, according to a press release.
Aerojet Rocketdyne, a subsidiary of Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:AJRD), Arkansas Electric Cooperative Corporation (AECC) and Ouachita Electric Cooperative
Tribal utility and government officials will break ground on a large-scale solar project in Kayenta Chapter on April 23, according to Navajo Tribal Utility Authority spokeswoman Deenise Becenti.
Suwannee Valley Electric Cooperative’s energy wholesaler finalized an agreement to construct a solar facility in Hardee County.
More than 2.5 million Americans work in the clean energy industry across all 50 states, according to a new comprehensive analysis unveiled today by the national
Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (NYSE:PEG) recently announced in a press release that PSEG Solar Source has purchased a 37.8 MW-dc solar energy facility from juwi Inc.