In Conversation With Mr. Jason Chow. Marketing Manager of APAC, Longi Solar
1) Longi is a global leader in the solar industry. Could you please tell us about your current business presence in India?
With the support from advanced R&D and continuous funding, LONGi Solar is leading the innovation of mono PERC cell efficiency. In 2017, LONGi Solar witnessed a total shipment of 4.5GW approximately, which ranked No.1 in worldwide shipment of mono-crystalline modules, No.1 in China’s domestic shipment of modules, and also No.1 in the shipment of modules in the household PV market. Along with the continuous introduction of LONGi’s high-quality mono-crystalline modules to the market and business partners, the product value concept - ‘high efficiency, high reliability and high yield’ has also been conveyed.
2) Tell us more about the latest innovations in your product and solution offerings for the Indian market.
Bifacial PERC is the latest technology of LONGi Solar. Bifacial PERC module will be the most competitive bifacial product due to the following reasons:
- LONGi Solar Bifacial PERC Hi-MO2 cell and module bifaciality >75%
- Significant increase on energy yield
- Double glass lamination, 30 year power degradation warranty
- Front side efficiency equivalent to conventional PERC
- Manufacturing cost comparable to conventional PERC
- Bifacial light harvesting, 8%-25% power gain from rear side
- Symmetric design to reduce mechanical stress
- Based on mature conventional P-PERC technology
- Mass production cell efficiency comparable to N-PERT
- P type wafer is cheaper than N type wafer
- Production line capex lower than N-PERT
- Cell manufacturing cost lower than N-PERT
- Module cost is ~$0.06/W lower than N-PERT
3) What exciting opportunities do you see in the Indian and global markets?
India is the next booming market for solar. Chinese PV manufacturers, including LONGi, are keen to capture this precious opportunity to enter the Indian market, and also contribute to the new energy sector of India. Despite of the proposed anti-dumping policy in India, LONGi has already made a progress in developing the India market, i.e., launch of branch office and cell and module plants in India. Furthermore, LONGi has been making massive marketing effort in India’s solar market in order to showcase the advantages of mono-crystalline modules.
4) How different is Indian PV module market from the International market?
India plans to install 100GW of solar energy by 2022 in accordance with the JNNSM. Therefore, the efficiency of solar modules is vital to the increase of power generation. This would be a great opportunity for LONGi to promote its mono bifacial PERC modules.
5) Please could you shed some light on your plans for India over the next 12 months.
In terms of the production capacity of mono-crystalline module of LONGi Solar, it was 6.5GW in 2017, and LONGi Solar is to expand its total capacity to 12GW in 2018.
In terms of marketing and sales, LONGi Solar intends to expand its international market to a larger scale in 2018.
To satisfy the demand of the booming solar market, LONGi Solar establishes factories and sales offices worldwide, e.g., module factory with an output capacity of 500MW/Year in Yinchuan, module factory with an output capacity of 500MW/Year in Xi’an, module factory with an output capacity of 2GW/Year in Taizhou, module factory with an output capacity of 1GW/Year in Malaysia, and a module factory with an output capacity of 1GW/Year in India is under construction. The overseas business headquarters is in Shanghai, while global branch offices are located in Tokyo, Frankfurt, and California, etc.
6) What have been some of the technology new trends in the module industry and how have you geared up for the same?
In April 12th, LONGi Solar announced that its 120-cell half-cut monocrystalline PERC module has exceeded 360W, as certified by TÜV-SÜD. This achieves a new world record for the highest power 120-cell half-cut monocrystalline PERC module, adding to LONGi’s world record for 60-cell monocrystalline PERC module for power and conversion efficiency.
Dr. Jun Lv, Vice President of LONGi Solar, explained, “LONGi Solar’s 120-cell half-cut monocrystalline PERC module applies our leading PERC technology. Average cell efficiency reached 22%; degradation in the first year is less than 2%, and stabilizing at less than 0.55% per year. PERC has been proven to increase power generation performance in low-light conditions and has excellent resistance to hot spots.”
7) Quality, Costs and Performance are key concern areas for Indian project developers. How would you like to address these issues for your offerings in India?
In the last couple of years, the mono-crystalline solar panels have gained much affinity of the developers as they are more efficient than the customary polycrystalline ones. The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has mull to install 100GW of electricity generation through solar energy by 2022, and thus the efficiency in power generation is of immense importance and is one of the major reason that the mono-crystalline solar panels are considered more in recent times.
8) What differentiates your company’s offerings from your peers?
LONGi has achieved a good balance between high power and high efficiency, focusing and taking the leads in both areas. As a driver and pioneer for high-efficiency and high-quality products, our PERC modules bring customers higher value and return on investment, generate more clean electricity and effectively advance grid parity and the sustainable development of clean energy worldwide.