In Conversation With Mr. J.M Shah, Managing Director, WEST COAST Engineering Works Pvt. Ltd
Can you tell us more about the products and services provided by WEST COAST Engineering Works in the Solar industry
We would like to introduce ourselves as a leading engineering and Manufacturing Company established in 1964 specialized in following products:
- Complete rooftop Walkway System including supporting structure for safe walking on Solar rooftop plants.
- Aluminum gratings, platform Solid gratings. (ALUGRATE).
- Aluminum hand rails/Alurails for roof top safety purpose.
- MMS for Solar rooftop
- Aluminum ladders. (ALULAD).
- Aluminum access covers.
- road Fencing rails (MOTO RAILS)
USP: We develop niche products with advanced design capabilities that offer value addition. Our products have pioneered the Gulf market since 1978, giving us a strong presence in the Middle East, hence, the quality & compliance is as per international standards.
We have experience in manufacturing all types of aluminum gratings having its application at various industrial rooftop plants, telescopes, sewage treatment plants, boiler trucks, even national & international sports stadiums. With respect to rooftop solar projects, each roof has a unique solution and we customize to ensure that only the most optimized design is supplied. Customization is required for the walkway and for the supporting systems which play a pivotal role in most cases.
We take prestige in stating we also export aluminum walkways to international rooftop projects. We encourage use of Handrail in most rooftops for increased safety and avoiding fatal accidents. Our rich experience plays an unique role of a technical expert and design consultant which has helped our clients to achieve superior designed techno-economic solution for every roof out there.
WE DON’T ACT AS VENDOR BUT WE ACT AS A SOLUTION PROVIDER TO OUR CUSTOMERS.
West coast engineering Works have supplied walkways at Radhasoami Satsang Beas, Punjab, which is the World’s largest Single rooftop Solar power plant. What challenges did you face during its implementation?
- While executing this project we faced lot of difficulties as the walkway was to be installed on asbestos sheet. Therefore load transfer of the walkway panel was transferred directly on Purlin through support system designed by us. Whereas in case of metallic roof partly, we can transfer the load through the roof as well as Purlin that makes a simple job for support system.
- The construction had to be carried out in extreme winter and the material was installed in very low temperatures. The site was having lot of variation of temperature, in summer it was 55°C and in winter it was 05°C which is 50 degree thermal variation and which has created expansion and contraction. Therefore, we have to redesign the walkway system considering this fact. As our successful design is working since last 6 years without any problem which shows that our aluminum Walkway is successful for the purpose of implementation.
What is your demand outlook for the rooftop solar segment?
The solar roof top market has immense opportunity as solar Ground Mounting has limitation due to expansion and availability of land. In India there are thousands of industrial plants having a multimillion sq.mtr. Of roof un-explored which can be utilized for solar power generation.