waaree december
buybestinclassgoodwesolarinvertersandwinexcitingprizes

Bhopal Railway Division Adopts Energy Conservation Methods

0
37
Allied Blenders and Distillers Aims To Source 70% Power Required from Solar Energy in FY24

Reading Time: 3 minutes

All lights at Rani Kamalapati Railway Station, Madhya Pradesh capital Bhopal, turn on when a train arrives on its platform. 70% of the lights turn off when the train departs.

pixon_december

This “30-70% circuit automation” system was one of the energy conservation measures taken by West Central Railway’s Bhopal division (WCR) in order to cut costs and save power, reports PTI.

An official also claimed that a solar energy station at WCR’s Bina Station in the state supplies electricity to overhead equipment (OHE) for the first time.

He said that the Bina station’s Solar Plant was awarded in June the Best Use of Zero Carbon Technology In Planet Category at the International Sustainable Railway Awards in Berlin, Germany.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the Rani Kamalapati Railway Station (RKMP) to the nation in November 2013. It was previously known as Habibganj in Bhopal.

This station is named after Queen Gond of Bhopal and has the first central concourse that connects to all platforms. It also features modern, world-class facilities.

Also Read  Madhya Pradesh Discom Holds Rooftop Solar Awareness Camps

“Besides RKMP 12 other stations in the division are equipped with the 30-70 percent circuit automation system. This allows only 30% of the lights to remain on when a train is not on a platform. The remaining 70% of the lights will turn on once a train crosses the home signal,” Sourabh Bandopadhyaya, Divisional Railway Manager (DRM), said.

He said that 70% of the lights on the platform will automatically turn off when the train crosses the “starter signal”. This will save Rs 13 lakh annually on power bills.

According to an official, a 1 MW, solar energy plant was installed in Bhopal’s Bhopal division. It generated 13.18 lakh units in 2021-22. This helped Railways reduce their electricity bills by Rs 36 lakh.

He also stated that it resulted in a reduction of 1,100 tonnes of carbon emissions in the environment.

Trains running from this division, like the Bhopal Express, Janshatabdi and Hamsafar Express, take power from the Head on Generation (HOG) compliant loco and power car through the OHE to run the air-conditioners, lights and fans, which resulted in saving Rs six crore per year, he said.

Also Read  Clean Energy Finance and Investment Roadmap of India: OEDC Report

A 1.7 MW capacity solar energy plant set up at Bina in technical collaboration with the Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) helped in saving Rs 2.28 crore from June 2020 till now, he said.

This power plant will also help in reducing carbon emission by 2,160 tonne, which is equivalent to planting one lakh trees, he added.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.