According to the latest five-year capability report of Oman Electricity Transmission Company or OETC, it expects to have up to 2.25 gigawatts of renewable energy connected to its transmission grid before 2026.
According to the 2023-2027 Statement, Oman Power and Water Procurement Company’s (OPWP), connection requests were received for the following project:
- In Manah, a 1,000 megawatts solar IPP is planned to be operational by 2025.
- Duqm will have a 200-300 MW Wind Farm by the second quarter of 2026
- By the second quarter of 2026, a 100-200 MW Wind Farm will be built in Jaalan Bini Bu Ali.
- Expand the existing Dhofar I Wind Farm at Harweel from 50MW to 150-250MW in the fourth quarter of 2026.
- Ibri III Solar IPP of 500MW by the first quarter of 2026
OETC noted that Oman Power and Water Procurement Company’s or OPWP statement for 7 years indicates that two renewable power plants, 200MW Ras Madrakah Wind Farm and 500 MW MIS Solar IPP 2027, will be energized by the Q2 of 2027. OTEC did not indicate whether it had received connection requests from OPWP regarding the two projects.
Oman’s fuel diversity policy aims to achieve 30% of the generation output coming from Renewable Energy Sources by 2030, and 39% by 2040. OETC’s 5-year statement predicted that the share of RES would increase from 5.9% in 2023 up to 29.1% in 2027.
There are 13 projects at the design stage of the 32 planned projects for the next five years (2023-2027). In the statement, it was noted that the projects still in the design stage include grid stations and transmission lines of 400kV and 132kV.
The following are the projects in the design phase with their expected completion dates:
- Adding Fault Current Limiters in the Muscat area – March 2025
- Khaloof 400/33kV Grid Station – June 2025
- Sarab 400/33kV Grid Station – June 2025
- Wadi Aswad 400/33kV Grid Station – June 2025
- 400kV Direct Link between Oman and GCCIA – January 2026
- 500MW Ibri III Solar IPP connection comprising 400kV substations/OHL line – March 2026
- Al Mazyunah 132/33kV Grid Station – June 2026
- Duqm Industrial 400/132kV Grid Station – June 2026
- Khuwaimah 132/33kV Grid Station – June 2026
- Masirah 132/33kV Grid Station – June 2026
- Mudhai 132/33kV Grid Station – June 2026
- Shahba Asaib 132/33kV Grid Station – June 2026
- North- South Interconnector Phase-2 – December 2026