Reading Time: 4 minutes
Tenaga Nasional Bhd (TNB), via its wholly-owned subsidiary, GSPARX Sdn Bhd (GSPARX) has formed a strategic partnership with SMART Modular Technologies, Inc. (SMART) to enable the latter to meet its Environment, Social & Governance (ESG) commitment of attaining 100% electricity powered by renewable energy.
Through the collaboration, SMART, a division of SGH (Nasdaq: SGH) and a global leader in memory solutions, solid-state drives, and hybrid storage, becomes the first multinational corporation in Penang and the first US-based electronics company in Malaysia to achieve this milestone.
This will be achieved at SMART’s Seberang Jaya operations, its primary manufacturing plant in the region. The ESG milestone is the result of implementing a solar rooftop solution and a Green Electricity Tariff (GET) provided by TNB.
The SARE was signed by TNB’s Head of State Retail (Penang), U. Ananda Rani; SGH Chief Operating Officer & Smart Modular Technologies President, Jack Pacheco and GSPARX Sdn Bhd Managing Director, Elmie Fairul Mashuri at SMART’s office in Seberang Jaya on 20 October 2022. Also present to witness the signing ceremony were Penang State Executive Councillor for Infrastructure and Transport, Zairil Khir Johari, SMART Modular Technologies Sdn Bhd Vice President Vejay Kumar, and TNB Stakeholder Affairs – Penang General Manager Haji Ismail Lathifi.
According to Elmie Fairul Mashuri, TNB is always ready to help organizations in all economic sectors achieve their green agenda by forming strategic partnerships, in line with TNB’s ongoing efforts to achieve its own ESG targets and ensure continued business growth.
“We believe that the partnership with SMART in addressing its ESG goals fully sets an example for other MNCs in Malaysia to embark on similar initiatives to reduce their own carbon footprint.
“Once we completed the solar installation, SMART will be capable of delivering 1,496 MWh of solar energy annually. With the combined solution of GET and the rooftop solar installation, the total carbon offset is 5,403 metric tonne per year, equivalent to 99,128 tree seedlings growing for 10 years.”
Zairil Khir Johari said the State Government is proud and grateful that companies operating in Penang are focusing their investments and shifting their emphasis toward a greener environment and a resilient climate change.
“This aligns with Penang’s Vision 2030, promoting the reduction of emissions across industries. Penang State Government welcomes all initiatives and efforts toward this environmental vision and also encourages initiatives and collaborations such as the one between SMART, TNB, and GSPARX.”
Meanwhile, Jack Pacheco commented, “As a global technology company, we understand our responsibility to make a positive impact on our environment. “We continuously strive to protect the environment, conserve resources and reduce our footprint on the planet in every way possible. I am proud of what we have been able to accomplish in partnership with TNB and GSPARX, and extend our sincere appreciation to the team.”
To achieve the 100% renewable energy aspiration, 80% will be achieved through SMART’s subscription to GET with a total subscription of 6.96 GWh annually. The remaining 20% is to be powered by GSPARX’s rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) installation with a capacity of 1,051kWp under a Supply Agreement of Renewable Energy (SARE).
To date, GSPARX has successfully secured 287 projects with commercial, industrial & government organizations, generating 232 MWp of solar capacity in total. Among them are Mydin Mohamed Holdings Berhad (MYDIN), Sime Darby Properties, Public Works Department (JKR), Kuala Lumpur City Hall, Johor Bahru City Council, Seremban City Council, Ipoh City Council, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Tun Hussein Onn University Malaysia (UTHM), TATI University College (TATIUC), Perak Transit Berhad, Lumileds, SKF Bearing, CJ Bio, Spirit Aerosystems and Primula Hotel Beach.